Home / Resources Division

Resources Division

Resources Division is mainly involved in the quarrying of limestone and the manufacturing of lime products such as quicklime, hydrated lime and quicklime powder. These products are used in a wide range of industries, and are sold domestically as well as exported to various countries around the region.


The history of Rock Chemical Industries (Malaysia) Sdn Berhad (“RCI”) began when Rock Chemical Industries (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd was incorporated in Malaysia under the Companies Act 1965 on 30 January 1973.

  • In 1975, it commissioned its first plant to locally produce white portland cement to replace imported white cement. RCI was the sole white portland cement manufacturer in Malaysia and was a significant exporter of white portland cement in the East Asian region.
  • On 30 November 1989, Rock Chemical Industries (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd became a public company and assumed the name of Rock Chemical Industries (Malaysia) Berhad.
  • On 28 June 1990, its shares were officially listed and quoted on the Second Board of the then Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange (now known as the Main Market of Bursa Securities).
  • On 29 June 2012, Rock Chemical Industries (Malaysia) Berhad was privatised and delisted from the official list on Bursa Securities.
  • On 27 July 2012, Rock Chemical Industries (Malaysia) Sdn Berhad became a 100% owned subsidiary of MFCB.

RCI diversified into lime products in 1993 and made a significant change in its corporate strategy by selling 60% of its shares in the white cement business in 2000, and the remaining 40% in 2002. RCI today is principally involved in the quarrying of limestone and the manufacturing of lime products. RCI’s lime operation is carried out mainly by RCI Lime Sdn Bhd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of RCI.


As a leading lime manufacturer in Asia, RCI Lime supplies materials to a reputable clientele across the Asia Pacific region. RCI Lime owns and operates multiple limestone reserves, state-of-the-art lime kilns and has the largest Hydration capacity in Asia ensuring a sustainable supply.

Due to our strategic location in Malaysia, RCI Lime has excellent connectivity to International Ports enabling us to distribute our lime products throughout the Asia Pacific region in a cost-effective manner. By road, rail or sea we readily deliver our products to our partners.


Quicklime is successfully applied in the steel manufacturing industry, pulp and paper manufacturers, sugar finery, mining and for soil stabilisation in the plantation and construction industry.

Quicklime is produced by the thermal dissociation of limestone. Its principal component is calcium oxide. RCI Lime uses limestone aggregates with size ranges from 20mm to 80mm. Quicklime produced is of high quality with a minimum of 90.5% calcium oxide content.

Hydrated Lime

Hydrated lime is a value-added downstream product of quicklime. It is a fine, dry powder manufactured by treating quicklime with sufficient water to satisfy its chemical affinity for water, thereby converting oxides to hydroxides.

Hydrated lime is used in many industries such as water and waste water treatment, agricultural applications, flue gas desulphurisation and in chemical processing plants. These products are used in many of the same applications as quicklime but hydrated lime is chemically more diluted than quicklime. It is used in industrial applications where controlled sizing is needed or where slakes are not utilised.


Syarikat Cheng Sun Quarry Sdn Bhd is principally involved in the quarrying of limestone for processing into fine calcium carbonate powder. Cheng Sun’s plant and factory are in Keramat Pulai, near Ipoh. The raw material which is high quality limestone, is obtained from an adjoining 9-acre limestone hill belonging to the company. The fine calcium carbonate powder is used as a filler in the paint, shoe, plastic and rubber glove industries.


Batamas’ current core business is in the manufacturing and trading of cement bricks. Quarry dust and cement are the essential raw materials required for the production of the bricks. Cement bricks are used as building materials in the construction industry. The product is marketed in Malaysia using the brand name “Ecco”.

Batamas factory is located on a 10-acre site in Batu Gajah and at Simpang Pulai site. The factory utilises fully automated platinum 7S Korean machinery to produce high quality cement bricks.

In August 1996, Batamas was an associate of RCI but subsequently became a wholly-owned subsidiary in 2007.